Apache Friends is a non-profit project to promote the Apache web server. It was founded in the spring of 2002 by Kai ‘Oswald’ Seidler and Kay Vogelgesang. The following activities are our contribution towards promoting the web server and related technologies:
- Easy to use software (see our Apache distribution XAMPP below).
- Easy to read documentation (Sorry, all texts apart from the FAQ are only available in German, our »Apache für Dummies« book for example).
- The creation of an online community for helping each other out should any questions or problems arise (see our Forums or Chats for further resources).
If you want to know more about Apache Friends please take a look at our Apache Friends FAQ page.
Many people know from their own experience that it’s not easy to install an Apache web server and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use – just download, extract and start.
At the moment there are four XAMPP versions:
- a version for Linux systems (tested for Ubuntu, SuSE, RedHat, Mandrake and Debian),
- a version for Windows 98, NT, 2000, 2003, XP and Vista,
- a beta version for Solaris SPARC (developed and tested under Solaris 8),
- and a beta version for Mac OS X.
These Mac OS X and Solaris versions of XAMPP are still in the first steps of development. Use at you own risk!
Look at our projects page to find out more about our other projects.
Author: Kai ‘Oswald’ Seidler
Last modification: Sat 15 Dec 2007 05:59:27 PM CET
© 2002-2008 Apache Friends